Day 5 - Walking the Yokohama Promenade and Harajuku District
A little cloudy but not too cool today so I went for a long walk on the Yokohama Promenade. A beautiful path that winds from our area, Minatomirai, to downtown. The first stop was Red Brick park where there are two red brick warehouses built in 1911.
There was a big floral display to celebrate the 99th anniversary.
I continued along the waterfront path and stopped at the International Passenger Terminal then finally arrived at Yamashita Park. It is a spectacular sanctuary. They were creating plant and flower displays in preparation for the Spring Fair that will happen this weekend.
I can not get over how much people stare at me. It is as if they have never seen anyone with blond hair before. Three different men stopped me to ask where I was from. I have never felt so out of place. Children simply stare, they don't smile, they just stare. It is the strangest thing. What an eye opener.
In the evening we went to the Harajuku district where we went in search of some "weird." I really hoped to see some crazy fashions. We saw some great outfits and lots of fun punk rock kids, but somehow missed the costume crew that are usually hanging out.
We ate at an all you can eat and drink buffet which was pretty comical. It was "American hip hop" theme and we had a pretty good time just people watching. I was happy that I got to eat with a knife and fork. :) We had a fantastic time - what a date night!
No comments:
Post a Comment