Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Tourist Tuesday

Day 4 - Taking in the sights on foot

The storm had passed by the time I got up this morning. I had an especially nice morning sipping a Starbucks coffee in the warm sunshine. Relaxed.

I put on a dress and boots and headed out on foot to tour the opposite side of Yokohama. Turns out if you keep on walking, take the bridge over the bay just passed the Nissan buiding there is another gigantic mall called Bay Quarter. It is 4 stories, on the water and seemed to have much more reasonable prices. I bought a spring scarf and a silver lotus flower votive holder.

I then ate lunch outside at a Hawaiian restaurant - they love Hawaiian things - and soaked up a few more rays while watching the bay. I then tromped all the way back - this time a different way through a couple of small parks. So many parks in this place.

When almost home, I sat in Rinko Park near the pier to rest my feet and along came an older Japanese man, who appeared to be a gardener, and he asked to sit down beside me. Through broken English he asked all about me and Sherman and we chatted for nearly 15 minutes. He then asked me to take off my sunglasses and he marveled at the blue eyes underneath. "Wow, so nice. So beautiful." If this had happened in the US I would be so creeped out, but the people here are so kind, so genuine and warm, and I felt completely at ease. It was nice.

He left to go back to trimming the trees, but before he did, he gave me a handwritten business card of sorts and said to call and he would be our "sight guide." Touched.

Blistered toes and pink shoulders to show for it, but it was a nice day. I waited patiently for Sherman to get off work so we could head to Chinatown for dinner. He was late. I watched a movie (this time in English) but he finally called to say he had mandatory OT and he would be home after 7. So we laid low and had dinner nearby and then a Cold Stone ice cream for dessert. A simple evening with my favorite person and one of my favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment