We haven't even planned a tour of the hospital's L&D department yet, but we had to make our first visit there...far too early.
I wasn't feeling all that well at work yesterday - just kind of crampy with low back pain. It was a very busy day in the ER and my contractions (which I have had frequently since 19 weeks) were stronger and much, more frequent. I finally decided around 3 that I should right down HOW frequent they were coming as it is hard to keep track when you are running around doing a million things at work. I did. They were every 5 minutes. I could have set my watch to them. This continued for over an hour...
I drank and drank fluids hoping it was just dehydration (even though my pee was a clear as water). I took a break and put my feet up in hope they would stop - they are supposed to stop if they are Braxton Hicks...they didn't. So, I called my OB office and they wanted me to go right in to the hospital for monitoring.
By the time I got there an hour and half later things had certainly slowed down A LOT and I was hardly feeling any more contractions, but I was still having some according to the monitor. It took them a while to find baby's heartbeat which made mine stand still for a moment. But eventually they turned me on my left side where we could hear him well. He was moving and dancing all around and gave the nurses a run for their money. He did not like the monitor in his space. :) On exam my cervix is closed and a protein test they ran Fetal Fibronectin was negative for signs of imminent preterm labor. All of that was very reassuring. However, despite the contractions being smaller and less frequent they had to give me a shot of a medication called Terbutaline to stop them. The shot made me all kinds of jittery and my heart got a little too fast, but it worked (well until I stood up) and after about 3 hours of monitoring and 2 urine samples they were able to discharge me home.
But they sent me out with statements that hit home and that have me thinking A LOT. The doctor on call and nurse both said several times, "you've have worked so hard for this baby." "Once your cervix changes there is no going back." "You have to take this seriously."
The doctor on call said I had to stay home today and then discuss my work plans with my midwife when I see her on Thursday, but her recommendation is to cut back. I knew that was coming, and obviously we will do whatever needs to be done to have this baby healthy and strong....but it definitely brings up a whole new set of challenges.
So for now we wait to hear the plan. Today things are well - trying to stay off my feet, catching up on the DVR and drinking a ton of water. Having a few an hour still with no activity, but they are irregular which is a very good sign.
Keep us in your prayers!
No comments:
Post a Comment