Thursday, October 13, 2011

Our Sweet but Big Boy in 3D!

Today I was scheduled for an ultrasound to check on baby's size and my cervical length. I was sent to the "high risk" doctor's office for this - which was great as they are always so thorough. Much to my surprise our baby was super cooperative and sleepy so the tech was able to get some amazing 3D pictures of his face!



He is absolutely gorgeous if you ask me. He appears to have his dad's nose and pouty lips...I have a feeling this child is Sherman's clone. :) The tech even pointed out that he has hair!!! It made me so excited to meet him and see him once and for all in person!

He also happens to be measuring big. I mean REALLY big. Like 4 weeks ahead - both is fetal size measurements and my uterus is also measuring at 36 weeks. He is estimated at 6 lbs. already!! The doctor even came in and redid the entire ultrasound after the tech because he couldn't believe it. He said we are dealing with a combination of genetics and some results of the gestational diabetes.

Overall measurements were pretty symmetrical - genetics - but the tummy circumference did measure quite a bit ahead of the curve - diabetes. This is used as a predictor for macrosomia - or overly large babies that can have shoulder dystocia and may get stuck during vaginal birth. Ouch. This doctor mentioned suggesting insulin to my midwife in addition to my GD diet to hopefully slow his growth. But he said - don't be surprised if a c-section is in your future.

My cervical length isn't worrisome at 2.41 cm. So it is shortening, but the doctor wasn't concerned. I will go back to work next week, but on a modified schedule. Basically 2 8's and 1 12 hour shift. I will still have to use some leave time, but I think that is the best plan right now. Who knows if working will send me into labor on my own or if we will need some help from the doctor. We shall see what the next 4 weeks brings as far as his size and come up with a plan at that point....

No comments:

Post a Comment