Thursday, May 13, 2010

Last week abroad!





Our last week in Japan flew by and we've been trying to catch our breath since we got back! I apologize for not posting sooner, but believe it or not this is my first day off and at home to catch you all up....

WEDNESDAY we had a Laundry Date Night. Yep, a Laundry date night...that means lugging dirty laundry through the crowded subway, down several blocks of busy streets, around the corner to some neighborhood and doing some coin laundry. As unappealing as that all sounds, we just had to make a good time of it - and we did! In between loads we had a fabulous riverside dinner at an Irish pub, complete with Guiness and Fish and Chips. Go figure!








And after a couple of loads, we found another little bar and the good times continued to roll. I love that we can have fun together no matter what the occasion!



THURSDAY Sherman was officially done with his work in Japan around 10 am and freed to be a tourist! While we had grand plans to go out venturing, but alas mother nature had different plans. It poured and poured and poured. All day long. So, we ended up having a little Pepper Lunch - a place where you order by vending machine and then it all comes out on a hot skillet and you cook it right there for yourself. Genius. And delicious!





We then shopped our way around Yokosuka looking for trinkets and treasures for family at home. We did NOT buy any banana keepers...



We then went and saw Alice in Wonderland in 3D. I can't tell you the last time we went to a movie together - loved it!



We then headed to the hotel bar to start the celebrating and say farewell to al the peeps going back home! We had a great night including an amazing steak dinner at Bubba's then a little country music in the Honch...it felt like we were already home!





FRIDAY we had to move from our home at the beautiful Intercontinental Grand Yokohama hotel to Yokosuka where we were able to stay with a very generous friend Denise. The move was anything but fun, but we made it. All 6+ bags of luggage through the subway, on a train, and then in to a taxi. I am not going to lie - I whined. A lot. But, we made it!

We then took a deep breath and got back on the subway and spent the day in Tokyo being tourists. The rain started in the afternoon. Forcing inside the 2 story Starbucks (of course) to watch the rush hour show in the busiest intersection in the world. Check out those umbrellas. I am telling you I was seriously worried I would come back with one less eye.



SATURDAY we made our way to Mikasa Park and took the ferry to Monkey Island. We had talked about going away to the hot springs for the weekend, but we knew it would be a big trip and we decided to enjoy the nearby sites. I am so glad we did!






We discovered an incredibly beautiful place with old fort ruins, caves and sandy beaches. It is hard to believe this little treasure is just a few minutes by boat from the shipyard of Yokosuka.







Everytime we thought we'd seen the most gorgeous site, we would turn around and find something more. I loved the hillsides that were little covered in wild hydrangeas.






The sun came out and we enjoyed beer on the deck. It turns out this place is like a little Deadman's Island of Japan!
I love when I get ahold of his camera...finally some pictures of him...love that face.





SUNDAY was our last day and it turned out to be a gorgeous sunny one at that. All we wanted was to sit by the beach, so we took the train out near Kamakura and Enoshima Island and enjoyed the boardwalk and surftowns along the way.







Nothing says relaxation like a beer on the beach! Just watch out for those seahawks - they literally dove and grabbed food from people's hands!






We then headed to Ofuna to catch a glimpse of the Goddess of Mercy in the sunset lights. It was a perfect peaceful ending to an amazing trip abroad. Such a different world. Such beauty. I will treasure it forever.



No comments:

Post a Comment