Sunday, February 19, 2012

SAHM?

SAHM - if you read blogs, baby boards, etc. you know that stands for Stay At Home Mom. I have always had every intention of working after having a baby, but I really wanted to cut back to a 0.6 position (24 hours a week) so I could be home more and my sister could help with childcare rather than paying. Well, they didn't have any 0.6 positions at my work, but I hoped and prayed my boss would work with me when it came time for my maternity leave to end.

Then Ronan came along. After 3 and a half years of waiting he finally arrived. And then the first 2 months just flew by and I realized how incredibly fast this really is going to go. I was working on my speech to give my boss to ask about the possiblity of cutting back...AND THEN came the letter from my work. A letter that offered a severance package for voluntary layoffs. I could never do it I told myself. But could I?

Turns out I could. And I did! Am I scared to be unemployed with this economy? Absolutely. But every time I ask: will I regret it? Absolutely not. We will never get this time back with Ronan and he may just be our only child so I want to soak up every second, experience every moment, be there for every first. And every mom said, "take it and don't look back." It will not be forever. We certainly can't afford it, but even if I can be home the first 6 months with him that is better than it would have been.

And as far as my fears of being unemployed. It is weird. To not have a job or not "belong" somewhere. I haven't not worked since I was 16 years old! And I will say it is bittersweet to end my job in the ER with the same company after 9 years, but I am also ready for some changes. I would love to find something part time if possible, and ideally no holidays and weekends. I am so sick of working every other weekend, I feel like I miss out on some very special times. And of course I would hate to miss any holidays with Ronan.

So until I am forced to go back to work, I am a SAHM and will probably have to become a crazy coupon clipping lady, DIY'er as well to pinch pennies, but I know I won't regret any of it.

5 comments:

  1. You are so right... You will never regret your decision! I envy you, and wish I could do it too! You and Ronan will have such great memories together. And when you do have to go back, Frannies is always there for you ! =). (or you will find something bigger and better). Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO FLIPPIN' HAPPY that you did this! I hope hope hope you get lots of good quality time as a SAHM, and then get a sweet part-time clinic position to help with the bills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Elisabeth. Just enjoy it for as long as it lasts. Staying home has its moments of, "I wish I were out of here!" but overall, I look at my children and know that they are better, more secure little people for every moment that I can spend with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My... LUCKY!!!!! I toyed with the idea after Caitlyn, but after Ashton... I was ready to go back to work. ENJOY every second!!!!! FHS will miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am envious, so happy you can do this and spend this amazing time with Ronan. Best of luck to you guys and what an amazing feeling you must have knowing you will get to spend such quality time with your little man!

    ReplyDelete